I AM Going to Succeed at This Healthy Eating Thing – This Time
Your intensions are good. THIS time you are going to make this healthy eating thing work. At least, that is what you tell yourself.
But then time happens.
Your to-do list is a mile long.
The last thing you want to think about is what to eat. Heck, even deciding where to go out to eat is painful.
You remember though, you want to eat healthy.
And that being the case, before eating out, ask yourself these three questions…
Reasons for Avoiding Eating Out
1. How is the dish prepared?: Typically all you know are the main ingredients provided on the menu. But, you do not know a thing about the amount of oil, fat, or salt in the dish. Unless the chef is letting into the kitchen, you are completely in the dark. Therefore, it is too much of mystery to eat out on the regular and keep to a healthy diet.
2. Is that meal for one person or a family of four?: We have a bad habit in the states. Portion sizes are the bad habit. You order a meal, but the dang thing is large enough for four people. If not for the mammoth sized portions, pasta everyday would be completely fine. You can get around this issue by asking the waiter for a to-go box as soon as the food arrives. Eat a reasonable sized portion at dinner, then save the rest for lunch or dinner another day.
3. What is the quality of the food?: Again, unless you are purchasing the food yourself, you do not have a clue about the quality of the food. To save a few bucks, some establishments use varieties of meat pumped up with additives and antibiotics. For your health, you want to avoid food with pesticides, additives, and antibiotics as much as possible.
Alternatives to Eating Out
Eating out is a great way to save time, especially with our hectic lifestyles. However, as you just saw, eating out can be bad for your health, and waistline. So what other options do you have?
1. Be the chef. When you cook for yourself, you control what goes in your food. You also control where you buy your food. Purchase fresh, NON GMO, grass-fed, and organic ingredients.
2. Order healthy meals online. More and more online meal ordering services are popping up on the internet. One example is Home Chef. They mail the ingredients to your front door. All you need to do is follow the instructions and good the meal. Check out this list too.
Do yourself a favor. Put time on your calendar for making time for you. Eat at home more. Your chances of eating healthier and smaller portion sizes will make a great difference in your life.
What are you going to do? What changes will you make in your life to keep your healthy game going? Respond in the post comments.